Thursday, July 31, 2014

Stay in Your "Comfort Zone" While Still Getting Variety..

Hey guys!! I recently picked up the infamous WetNWild "Comfort Zone" shadow palette. Upon swatching and playing around with it, I realized how you can come up with a ton of different looks with this palette! So here I documented some of the looks I created with this palette in efforts to show its versatility in giving a subtle neutral looks to super dramatic looks! I've put together four looks (and I titled each look haha). To not have to list shade names the left column going down will be B1 (like browbone), E1, C1, and D1. The right column going down will be B2, E2, C2, and D2. So you know what I mean here's a shot of the layout of the palette:
Before the looks here are swatches:
Top to bottom: B2, E2, C2, D2.
 Top to bottom: B1, E1, C1, D1.
And now.. the looks I created!! I did pull in a few extra shadows for some looks but I really tried to stay in the palette.

1. Playful and Peachy:
First I primed with Urban Decay's Primer Potion in "Eden" (yellow shade.. make the peach shade pop more) and put it all over the lids  and up into the crease. I then took E1 and packed it all over the lid. Then, taking D1 I put that on the outer third of my lid to crease depth  and brought it into the crease a bit. I love the color combo of golds/peaches with plums. I took a little bit of C1 for blending purposes and make the crease a little warmer. I used my Essence waterproof liquid eyeliner (review on this and a comparison to their gel liner a few posts ago..) on my upper lashline/wing and my NYX Wonder Pencil in "Light" in the waterline. I smudged C1 on my lower lashline (because if you've ever smudged a super dark WNW on your lower lashline you know that it'll be super dark so I went with this bronzey shade; I usually do brown liner there anyways). Other products used: Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Volumizing mascara, Cargo Texas Lash mascara, WetNWild MegaGlo Illuminating Powder in "Spotlight Peach", Buxom's Full-On Lipstick in "Amsterdam" topped with Bare Minerals Moxie gloss in "Smooth Talker".
This was definitely one of my favorite looks I created with the palette.

2. Smokey but Safe (color-wise haha):
                  
 For this look I primed with Urban Decay Primer Potion in "Original" and took B1 on the inner corner and inner third of the lid. Next I took B2 and put it on the rest of my lids. I put C2 in my outer corner and blend-blend-blended. I used my Essence gel liner in "Midnight in Paris" as my upper liner/wing. I also put NYX's Wonder Pencil in "Light" in the waterline and  C2 on the lower lashline. Other products: Bare Minerals mascara, Cargo mascara, Physician's Formula "Blushing Rose" on the cheeks, and NYX MegaShine gloss in "Miami Babe" on the lips.

 3. Lazy Day:
I'm sure most of you have heard of "one shadow looks" or have done them yourself. They work with shades that have a lot of depth and complexity to them. This technique only works with shimmery shades because the shimmer will reflect differently depending on the angle. Anyways, I did a one shadow look using C1 over my Urban Decay Primer Potion and blended the shadow up through my crease. I followed that up with my Essence liquid eyeliner, NYX Wonder Pencil, Bare Minerals Mascara, and Cargo Texas Lash mascara. On my cheeks I used my NYX Powder Blush in "Spice" and on my lips I used my NYX Chunky Dunk pencil in "Rum Punch".
This wasn't my favorite one-shadow look, but I do know that it is a popular trend/look to do with shadows and I wanted to try it with this palette. I did get slight depth from this shade in my crease.

4. Seeing Green:
         
(That last pic really showed the colors good, so let's ignore the awkward nose angle I always have in my pics on here haha)
For this look I used UD Primer Potion all over the lid up to the brow bone (that was for my crease shadows would have a primer underneath) and Jordana's 12 Hour Made to Last shadow pencil in "Stay On Black" as a base all over my lids. I patted D2 all over the lids. I then blended WetNWild's single shadow in "Panther" in the crease and then NYX's "Over the Taupe Taupe" to blend the black shadow pencil and shadow out. I used my Essence gel liner for my wing and upper liner and my NYX Wonder Pencil in the waterline. I smudged Cargo's Swimmables liner in "Pfeiffer Beach" (a plum shade.. gave the super dark look a little pop and brightness). Other products: Bare Minerals and Cargo mascara, Laura Geller Baked Blush in "Maui", and NYX Chunky Dunk Pencil in "Berry Mojito" on the lips.
I am seriously in love with the bottom right "Definer" shade.. love its unique duo-chrome, this shade was the main reason I bought this palette! When layered over the black shadow pencil, the brown duo-chrome is less apparent and it highlights the blue-green in the shade.

Since this is a post about this particular palette, I did find a product that really just go went with and matched this palette perfectly..
First is NYX's MegaShine gloss in "Miami Babe". This is a neutral that goes with everything but with a lot of these looks I thought it coordinated and added a little something. Here's what it looks like and a swatch:
It is a medium creamy pink; no shimmer.

Which look was your favorite? What have you created with your "Comfort Zone" palette? Show me on Instagram (@makeupbyemilyy)! What do you want to see next? Comment!
* A little update: I'm trying not to buy too much makeup, I've been trying to use up a lot of products I have in my collection. A lot of them are from my Seasonal makeup Switch-Up post (if you want to read that click here). I will be posting an empties post after I finish up some more products. Even though I am "project panning" so to speak, I will haul some back to school makeup and stock up on my essentials. :) *
- Em :)

No comments:

Post a Comment