Thursday, June 25, 2015

How I've Been Doing My Makeup - Foundation Routine and New Techniques :)

Hey!! I had my last day of finals yesterday the 23rd!! Woo!! I saw a frequent reader, Lisa, request some of my summer makeup tips. I recently settled into a fab routine for my face makeup so I thought it's the perfect season to share how to get an amazing base. :)
Step 1: Prep
It's always important to remember that what you put under your makeup directly affects the longevity of your look. I have fallen in love with this moisturizer!! I was matte the entire day when I used this. I was simply amazed. I sampled this from Birchbox and may buy the full-size.. once I gulp the $60 price. In short, use one that cooperates with your makeup.

Step 2: Foundation
Recently, I've been using my KVD Lock-It Tattoo Foundation. I want to review this but can't figure out how I feel. I only use one pump of this foundation (any foundation for that matter) to make sure I have the most natural look. A nice thin layer of foundation will help you gauge what really needs to be covered (never conceal first). For this time of year a fab BB cream is the Dr. Jart Premium BB cream (pictured) and the Detox BB. I find these to be the most longwearing out of the BB creams I have tried. In terms of application, I use a buffing brush for foundations and hands/sponge for BB's.

 Step 3: Conceal


Concealer application can make or break your entire look; it has to look just right or it will emphasize your imperfections. I get the perfect look using these 3 Maybelline concealers and a damp sponge. The dampened sponge is. It will take away excess concealer and gives a nice soft look to concealer. The key I think is to use the disposable, latex-free, sponges. I find the latex-free ones to be smoother and softer (a far more even application), and less porous (won't soak up too much concealer). I've been really enjoying these 3 concealers. I use the Master Camoflauging concealer for blemishes in a patting/stamping motion with the dampened sponge. I use the Dark Circle Eraser in Neutralizer first underneath my eyes. It has a beautiful yellow tone to hide my purple circles. Then, to brighten I use the Brightener shade over it. I use a light amount to brighten so as not cake the delicate/thin area of the undereyes. I do use the same sponge for the neutralizing and brightening. :) I set this with the highlighter side of the new Wet n Wild Contouring palette in Caramel Toffee (I believe it is only sold at Walmart and I definitely recommend it; the contour is nice and cool!!). 

Step 4: Set things straight
I always set my foundation. I've gone back to my fave powder as of yet, NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat. :) I use the e.l.f Powder Brush; a flat top kabuki kind of cut. I use a patting motion to lock the makeup in place. I find the patting technique so crucial you will get max coverage out of your powder and minimize creasing. 

Step 5: Something a little extra..
Recently, I picked up this Hard Candy Fast & Fabulous setting spray and at first I didn't think it did much but I have fallen in love!! I will spray this when I finish concealer (before powder) and then once more after I set my whole face. I really think this takes the powdery look from my face and freshens things up. I really like this spray!! :) 

Thanks for reading I think a few major takeaways for my recent routine is: moisturizing the right way, the dampened sponge (latex-free), and the setting spray.
Quick question: I could never get my Beauty Blender to give me a better look than these sponges. I have the pro one (the black sponge) and I'm not sure if that is different than the pink one in any way.. anyone know?

I'll be posting again soon! Bye for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment