Thursday, August 28, 2014

Birchbox vs. Ipsy August 2014

Hey guys!! I just got back from vacation (well, I was down the cape for the week so you decide haha) and I came home to a cute box and a pink bubble wrap package AKA my Birchbox and my Ipsy came in!!! So here I am to compare them for you. 
Let's start with Birchbox:
I received..
 High Performance Hair Care's Super Comb Prep & Protect (conditioning spray) deluxe sample: I enjoy getting leave-in conditioners or masks from sub boxes and the fact that this is a spray is even more convenient. This softens my hair nicely. This is definitely the format of product I would like to receive if I were to get a haircare product.
 Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream in Acai Grapefruit deluxe sample: I mean.. yeah I will use this but I'm not super amped to shave my legs anyways. A nice basic toiletry.
 Vasanti Detox Nutrient-Rich Purifying Facial Cleanser deluxe sample: Yay!! I love trying new cleansers. I always need these kind that are "purifying" because I am oily/acne prone. I would like to find one without the harsh chemicals associated with most acne cleansers (like salicylic acid, etc.) and this does not have those.
 Catherine Malandrino Style de Paris Fragrance sample: It smells nice, not super stoked. But, what makes this a decent perfume sample is that it is in a spray bottle!! So much more convenient than those vials they give out. This is the kind of thing I can keep in my schoolbag/locker or in my purse!
TheBalm Cosmetics's Staniac (lip/cheek stain) in "Beauty Queen" deluxe sample: This month Birchbox had a promotion where you were able to choose a makeup sample to be in your box and this is what I picked! I was so happy to get this. 
Here's a closer look at the products:
My thoughts on the box as a whole: I enjoy a lot of this box. However, if I were not able to pick the Staniac sample I don't think I really would have liked this box much.

And our next opponent.. Ipsy!
I received..
Urban Decay Perversion mascara deluxe sample: Excited to try this, but I do not open more than 2 mascaras at a time! This will be in my arsenal to try.
Lord & Berry mini kajal-kohl liner in "Black SILK" deluxe sample: I have been receiving too many black liners from my subs lately..
MANNA sheer glo shimmer lotion deluxe sample: I usually don't do a glowy look. Thinking of using this on my cheeks.
GLAMGLOW YOUTHMUD TINGLEXFOLIANT TREATMENT deluxe sample: Yay, you guys know I love exfoliants!!!
Jersey Shore Sun MONGONGO Nutrient Dense Anti-aging Lip Conditioner in Mandarin Green Orange Ginger: I'm a lip balm junkie so this will be fabulous to try.
A closer look..
My thoughts on this bag: While the mascara, exfoliant, and balm are awesome I am underwhelmed by the liner and lotion. I receive liner too much! Based on my Ipsy profile, saying I have oily skin I don't see why I received a shimmery lotion.

Who wins?
Birchbox.. because I have so much of the things I received in Ipsy where as Birchbox sent an interesting variety in my box this month. The "pick your sample" type promotion is a great idea as well.
What'd you guys get in your subscriptions this month?? Comment, comment link to your blogs, or tell me on Instagram (@makeupbyemilyy)!
My blog has reached 1800+ views! At 2k I am doing an international giveaway! :)
If you'd like to subscribe I have referral links to Birchbox and Ipsy that earn me points. :)
What would you like to see next? 
- Em


No comments:

Post a Comment