Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cargo Cosmetics "Suited to a Tea Colour Kit" $38

Hi guys!! Today I'm bringing you a collective review on some products from Cargo in their "Suited to a Tea Colour Kit". This kit retails for $38 and I bought it at Kohl's.. anyone else love the beauty section at Kohl's?? They have Real Techniques, THE BALM (love), etc.!! Cargo is also available at Ulta, but this particular set is not on their website. Anyways, I have never tried anything from Cargo so this is a nice way to have a fun time and test a brand out!  
This kit includes an eyeshadow in "Yukon", a Water-Resistant Blush in "Bali", their Essential Lip Color in "Santa Fe", Swimmables eyeliner in "Pfeiffer Beach", and a deluxe-sized sample of their Texas Lash mascara. Everything is full-size except the mascara, making this an exceptional deal for just $38!!

Here's what the kit looks like..

 The inside...
Eyeshadow: I love that they included a taupe because I love doing one shadow looks with them and this shade is a very pretty taupe! However, the texture was dry and not as intense as I had hoped or expected from a higher-end shadow. I posted a swatch on my Instagram (@mamakeupbyemilyy) and on my hand it looks more intense and has more depth. But when it comes to taking my beloved synthetic brush and packing it on the lid, it just wasn't as dramatic as I was expecting to be. It wears perfectly fine throughout the day over a primer (Just did a big post on primers!! Check it out babes!!), but I would rather use a WetnWild trio or just use my Urban Decay shadows because the pigment is there and the texture is right on!! 
Blush: Nicely pigmented, I wouldn't say this is water-resistant as it claims. It has a very interesting sheen to it, it has an almost duo-chrome vibe to it; I feel like I'm seeing a blue/lavender shimmer in certain lights.. definitely worth a swatch if you're in Kohl's/Ulta. It is a shade that really perks up the complexion.
Lip color: This gives off nice shine.. the con is that this shade, "Santa Fe" has shimmer.. I cannot stand shimmer in lipsticks! The shimmer is pretty fine and small so if you don't mine shimmer, then you can tolerate it. I was expecting this to be more hydrating to the lips considering its shine and just the moisture in the product itself, but it does not seem to add any moisture. The shimmer does not wear off evenly with the color so I was left with just shimmer on my lips.. I would have loved to see this in a shade with no shimmer, just creaminess. I might try one out and update you guys!
Eyeliner: this is a nice plum shade so it adds a slight pop of color and is less harsh than a black in the waterline. But is it actually "swimmable"/waterproof? .. No. While I ran water over the swatch and rubbed it, it faded /smeared and balled up. When there was no pressure applied (I did this with two swatches) the swatch merely faded. This did not have good staying power in the waterline but functions fine on my lower lashline and upper lashline. I think there are more long-wearing eyeliner pencils at the drugstore like Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last for less than half the price.
Mascara: This is a wet formula just as a disclaimer for the dry fans out there. This separates lashes and adds a little volume but not much length at all. A very natural mascara if that's what you go for, I personally love thick (and even slightly clumpy) lashes. This did not flake.
The kit overall: I'm happy I got to try the brand but nothing in this kit was a real stand out product to me. I can think of comparable, cheaper, and better products at the drugstore for these prices. This may be personal preference but if I may add.. usually in a kit all of the shades cohesively work together with an intention of the products all being worn at the same time. The blush being a pink that verges on a slightly bright pink and the lip color so much darker, I wouldn't want to wear these together. Favorites: I'm a taupe fanatic so I liked the shadow and I like the mascara for lighter makeup days.
 Swatches LtoR: lip color, eyeshadow, blush, eyeliner

Mascara wand:

Please comment what else you would like to see reviewed, tested, or posted here!  



2 comments: