Saturday, July 5, 2014

WORK APPROPRIATE MAKEUP TUTORIALS!!

Hi guys!! I just had an interview at Wendy's (got the job of course!! ;) ) but while getting ready I realized I have to start doing more appropriate makeup for the work scene and I informed y'all on Instagram (@makeupbyemilyy) that I would be posting a series of more neutral and toned down looks that would great for school or work. I'm not saying that you can't rock your colors but I thought maybe I'd try and stay neutral for a little while and see what I can come up with for you guys! Okay so I have three looks.. the first is more summery and is actually the same eye look as my summer tutorial that has a muted gold and warm browns. The second look is a little more smoky and uses a taupe and a deeper shade paired with a pinky lip to liven the face up a bit. The third look is the "I need to do my makeup in 10 minutes but I want to look polished!!"-look. :) P.S Most of these products are drugstore or easy to recreate, you don't have to do these looks the same way but maybe take bits and pieces or even just product recommendations.. hope I'm helpful!! :)
These tutorials only show the colored makeup (shadows, blush, lips..) but I will give you face product recommendations at the end of this post!!! 
Okay so here's the first look ((that is the same shadows (but not liner, etc.) as my summer makeup)) that features a gold shade and two matte browns..
Here's what I'm using:
NYX Love in Rio trio in "Cabana Boy" (swatches on my Instagram), e.l.f eyelid primer in "Sheer", Essence shadow pencil in "Cute Copper", e.l.f liquid eyeliner in "Coffee", Benefit's Eye Bright, WetnWild MegaGlo illuminating powder in "Spotlight Peach", Maybelline Color Elixir in "Caramel Infused".

 The first step I did was put e.l.f's lid primer all over my lids and up to my brow. Then, we are mapping out our creases using the Essence pencil, I like to draw my outer V in so I get the V I'm going for everytime when I'm blending my shadow.. (yes it looks crazy but this has ended my frustration with the outer V crisis, anyone else find that super difficult??) 
 Next, I take a fluffy blending brush (this is the SOHO Crease Brush... at Marshall's for $3!!) and with the darkest matte brown I blend over the cream and use it to go about and do my crease as normal..   
 This really helps soften the cream and add warmth..
Next.. Take that sponge tip applicator girl and put the golden shade all over your lids!! Yes snobs, the sponge tip is usable (haha I'm just joking, love you guys). After this I blended the edges of the look with the lighter matte brown.
 This shade is sheer so I applied it sheerly at first and built it up more.. 
Smudge some of the dark matte brown on the lower lashline because we're not using liner there..LINER TIME!! I used a brightening pinky white liner (Benefit's Eye Bright) in my water line and lined my lashline and winged with the e.l.f liquid liner. Apply your fave mascara and you're set!
I used brown for this tutorial because it is just a touch softer than black and since I did a wing, the brown does make it a little more natural. Smudging shadow gives a sort of soft focus type effect and it just adds a little something there instead of having a super top heavy eye (which I do love but it can look a little off).
Next I applied the WetnWild blush I pictured earlier and then the Color Elixir. It's hard for my blush to be in the picture I take of myself because I wear it on the backs of my cheeks (on the actual cheekbone.. looks better on my face) rather than the apples of my cheeks. Here is the final look!!
Look two is the more feminine look, we're using a taupe that has a hint of purple to it when over its base and doing pink lips and cheeks.. just fresh and feminine! Okay here's the products:
Essence shadow pencil in "Whipped White Frosting", WetnWild "Silent Treatment" trio, Essence gel eyeliner, NYX cream blush in "Boho Chic", Khroma (I heard they changed the name to Kardashian) Beauty "In the Flesh" lip kit.. 
Let's get started!
First I primed my lids with the Essence shadow pencil..
 I used the eyelid and crease shade in this trio..
 First, pat the eyelid shade on the lid; I used the sponge applicator but you can use a brush or even fingers!
 I then buffed the crease shade through my crease and outer V in a very soft way because this shade can be very intense and I had work this day so I kept it simple.
I lined my eyes and did a wing, applied mascara..
With blush and lipstick..
Here's the 5 minute, quick but polished, makeup look.. 
Here's what you'll need:
Same Essence "WWF" pencil, WetnWild's "Nutty", NYX Felt Tip liner in "Jet Black", L'Oreal Color Riche Le Balm in "Nourishing Nude"
Prime those eyes girl!!
 Apply "Nutty" all over the lid, in a pinch, I like to use my fingers..
Grab a fluffy brush and take "Nutty" and blend it through the crease.. yes this is a ONE SHADOW LOOK!! This shade creates a depth in the crease and it's perfect.. Felt tip liner is great in a rush too because of its fool-proof control. Apply Mascara.
This may sounds crazy but I skip blush in a hurry.. I find it more forgiving to just dust bronzer on the cheeks and forehead instead, because a blush that is not blended enough always stinks. Throw on the L'Oreal balm, it gives hydration, nice pigment, and shine.. all in one! Use this or a nice jumbo glossy lip pencil (Neutrogena, Clinique, etc.)
My face recommendations!!
Primer:
Do yourself a favor and P R I M E!! It will keep all the work you invested in looking nice.. I have oily skin and I love Rimmel Stay Matte Primer and the Smashbox Photo Finish (oil-free one). The Rimmel really does make a difference with my oil. The Smashbox one really does work (haha I wasn't expecting much) and actually prolongs my makeup wear!!
Foundation:
I honestly would recommend a matte finish for anyone for foundation (or maybe you just make it matte with a mattifying powder) during the work day. Odds are you'll be stressed or annoyed when working and then before you know it... stress sweat; I get so nervous and all those other scary feelings while I'm at work so I tend to produce more oil/sweat while is a makeup melter thus.. matte foundation. Okay TMI anyways:
Rimmel Stay Matte mousse foundation gives a matte finish and medium coverage, just fab (I would not recommend using this with its corresponding primer because the primer is designed for oil control and not for easy blending purposes). Disclaimer: the Stay Matte mousses do run a little dark; I got "Ivory" and it's the teeniest bit dark.
For a foundation that has nice natural ingredients, SPF, fab shade selection, and that DOESN'T OXIDIZE AND STAYS TRUE TO COLOR: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15. This has buildable medium coverage!
Concealer:
NYX HD Photogenic Concealer has medium coverage, long wearing, true to color, creases very little (I always set with powder)
Powder:
NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat powder foundation has a beautiful finish and has a soft texture. The coverage is medium (when using this to set my liquid makeup with a puff; it can make my medium coverage foundation.. full).

I hope this big long post helped you guys, sorry some of the pics are meh I had to use my phone for the second and third tutorials' pictures. :/

Leave requests and follow me on Instagram for heads up on when I publish posts on here!! Love you all!! :)




2 comments: