Sunday, July 20, 2014

No Makeup Makeup

Oh yes.. the "no makeup makeup" look that we all try to master.. For me this means not necessarily skipping a makeup step, but using a different forms of the products I usually use, blending. My "NMM" look will be: perfected skin with a pink flush on the cheeks, defined eyes, and healthy lips. Here's what I'll be using..


Face:
- Covergirl+Olay eye corrector in "230": This has the Olay skincare properties so I use this as an eye cream step.. also, since I won't be using foundation I need coverage wherever I can get it for my under eye!
- Dr. Brandt Pores No More: fills pores beautifully.. we want a smooth look to the face.
- Maybelline Baby Skin: this will act as a primer and aid to the smooth appearance we want.
- MUFE Mist&Fix: I went ahead and spritzed some of this on just as another step to prolong the wear of the BB cream I'll be using.
- Dr. Jart Black Label BB: gives nice coverage but is a BB so it is more forgiving than liquid foundation. I used my fingers for this step to get the best coverage and blend; the warmth of fingers helps it really almost bind and look like skin.
- Stila Convertible Color (or cream blush): cream blush blends flawlessly with the skin, I think this is one of the more important steps of anyone's "NMM" look which is using more cream/liquid products. Creams/liquids blend beautifully and look most like skin than a powder which sits on the skin.
- Covergirl Tru Magic in "The Sunkisser": along with our cream blush, a cream bronzer! I placed this from the hollows of my cheeks to the jawline and on my temples. Added a nice skin pick-me-up, not contour.. if you read my Contouring and Highlighting 101 post you know how I feel about bronzers as a contour.. ;)
(I used my e.l.f Small Stipple Brush for both blush/bronzer).
- NYX HD concealer: because we still want the skin perfected, a liquid concealer will blend well with the BB cream.
- MUFE HD Powder: using a translucent powder really helps with a "NMM" look because it won't cake up because there is none of the coverage/pigment that you'd see in a powder foundation or pressed powder.
Eyes:
- Urban Decay Primer Potion in "Original": use any eye primer that will blend with your skintone.
- Physician's Formula Matte Quad in "Classic Nudes": Use the cream shade on the lid and add depth in the crease by using one of the brown shades in the crease. Lightly smudge a brown on the lower lashline.
- Essence Gel Eyeliner: use any liner that you're comfortable with and create a thin line right at the base of the lashes, making sure to really wedge it between the lashes.
- NYX Wonder Pencil: use this or any other nude liner in your waterline to brighten things up, but nothing stark white.
 - Mascara: apply whatever mascara you prefer; this step is really all about personal preference. I used Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Volumizing mascara.
(I used "Tease" from my Naked 2 palette to blend over and get rid of some mascara smudges that were in my crease... nobody's perfect!! ;)).
Brows:
- e.l.f Eyebrow Kit in "Medium" (used the wax the color and shape the brow), NYX matte shadow in "Over the Taupe Taupe" (to set the wax.. the powder in the e.l.f kit is a little too warm), and set with Essence's Lash&Brow gel mascara.
Lips:
- NYX Butter Balm in "Brownie" and I topped it with their Butter Gloss in "Tiramasu". For the lips step think of a "my lips but better" shade for you.
Overview of some general "NMM" tips..
1. Use more cream/liquid products, less powder.
2. Use your fingers as tools!!! Their warmth helps products "melt" into the skin.
3. Don't forget the brows! Though my eye look was very simple, you can still tell how they really offer a "frame" for the look and the face for that matter.
Here's my finished look:
(My camera still won't pick up blush or bronzer.. may be time to invest in a new one)..
Oooohh guys I forgot to mention/bring up that Perricone MD made this line (too expensive for my liking haha it's on Sephora's website) that embodies this look like there's a foundation called "No Foundation Foundation" and there's a blush and a lipstick (and more). Wayne Goss actually did a tutorial using the line on his mom!! Here's a look at that if you're curious:
Any requests for future posts can be left here as a comment, to my email, or on my Instagram (@makeupbyemilyy). Thanks for reading!!
- Em

No comments:

Post a Comment