Friday, July 18, 2014

Best and Worst Concealers (mostly drugstore with a few high-end)

I feel like concealers, though seemingly boring, are so crucial in enhancing the skin during the makeup process. It's a constant trial and error for most to find their holy grail concealer.. I have 11 (8 drugstore and 3 high-end) to share my thoughts on ranging from cream to liquid and even a pencil. I will include swatches for each product (I have light skin with both yellow and pink undertones)! 
Let's start with the ones I was most pleased with keeping in mind that that does not mean they're all holy grail status for me.
 LtoR..
1. Lorac Touch-Up To Go Concealer/Foundation Pen: I really enjoy this product. I use it for its intended purpose of touching up my makeup (mainly dark circles) and it helps fading and broken down concealer and gives it a boost of coverage. It really impresses me because of how it is easy to blend over my existing makeup and how it sits well on the skin. I use light pressure and blend with my e.l.f Small Stipple Brush. I set it with a light finishing powder. I have it in the shade "CF2". This retails for $28 (I got it for $14 when Sephora put all Lorac items for clearance.. but still worth full price if you're on the go a lot and busy.. great for purse and car touch-ups).
2. NYX HD Photogenic Concealer: This is the one concealer that has truly impressed me the most. It wears for a very long time, has medium coverage, isn't cakey, and gives me the least creasing under the eye (I do set with powder). Definitely worth a try considering how NYX is an affordable brand. I have it in the shade "Fair" for highlighting. 
3. Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil: This pencil is incredibly creamy. I did not like using it under the eye because it did not sit well in that area for me, but this a fabulous concealer for blemishes.. it offers medium-full buildable coverage. This retails for $19 and is definitely worth it if you are struggling to find a face concealer. I have it in the shade "DEA" (cute shade names too.. supposed to be like government agencies haha).
4. Physician's Formula Concealer 101 duo in "yellow/light": This product suggests that the yellow is  for bruises and dark circles while the flesh tone one is for flaws or to top the yellow corrector. I don't like using this under the eye because of its texture. This is not your smoothest and creamiest concealer in the world, it should be applied with your fingers so their warmth heats up the product. This drier consistency makes it not melt off and crease so it's fabulous for blemishes and redness around the face. 
5. Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda concealer palette: These concealers are incredibly creamy. I did have issues with creasing under the eye so this is another face concealer for me. The real gem in this little palette is the bottom left shade that is green in tone for redness.. FINALLY A GREEN CONCEALER THAT DOESN'T BORDER ON A MINT GREEN AT THE DRUGSTORE!! This actually works!! I do like the top left skin tone shade but find it just a hair dark for me. The top right is an orange tone that is suggested for dark circles and the bottom right is a setting powder. I love the versatility of this palette and it's fabulous for travel because it includes a nice sheer powder to set everything with. I would recommend this for people who want to try correcting shades at the drugstore because though they are popping up more, they usually are strangely colored. Sonia Kashuk can be found at Target and I have this in the shade "07". 
Swatch-a-palooza:
LtoR: Lorac (matches me nice, right??), NYX, Urban Decay, Physician's Formula, Sonia Kashuk 

Now on to the worst concealers.. 
LtoR...
1. Maybelline Dream Lumi concealer in "Radiant": This specific shade is supposed to be a brightening corrector shade for dark circles. If it is a corrector, it should have coverage and CAMOUFLAGE the circle, not merely show it off to the world. Not only does it have sheer coverage, but it creases. The formula is nice and thin for highlighting and I am sure people have had luck with other shades but do not buy this in hopes of brightening dark under eyes. This was more white than a corrector usually (they should have nice depth and more of a pronounced tone).
2. Covergirl + Olay concealer balm: I got this because of emilynoel83 of course and she said it worked great on the under eye area and the face. Well, not for me.. this is a little thin and greasy looking on the under eye but I had luck with ti on my face until I noticed how orange this stuff is on  my face!! That just made my blemishes and redness look worse! I have never had luck with Covergirl face products.. they always run orange and pink. I have this in the shade "320 Fair/Light". 
3. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Line Smoothing Stick: The shade in this stick fits me well but I find that it looks greasy and creases a lot. I have this in the shade "Light 02". 
4. Essence Match 2 Cover cream concealer: I find Essence products to be very hit and miss for me.. love or hate. This is a hate :/.. the texture is so hard so I have to work at it a lot and after all that I expect good coverage and this just did not deliver. Also, this is a duo and one shade seems to have much more pink tones and the other a neutral/yellow one. I would have loved to see the tones consistent. There is no shade name on the packaging.
5. Benefit Erase Paste: This product is so hyped up for absolutely no reason. The color of this corrector is completely fine... the problem is the texture (and its price $26.. are you kidding me????). This is very emollient and it is marketed for the under eye. So you're thinking "Great! It never hurts to add moisture there!".. that's what I thought too, friend. But oh the contrary!! This stuff creases like non other even when set with powder, if you have ANY sort of line remotely in that area it will settle there. Becuase of the whole settling into lines area I can't even see this working for nay age group, obviously older and mature skin will develop lines it's only natural.. even being a teenager this settled into lines.. It is not full coverage for my circles either. Such a waste of money, I am beyond underwhelmed with this product.
Swatches:
LtoR: Maybelline, Covergirl, Neutrogena, Essence, Benefit (or Bene-CRAP).

A quick note on some discontinued concealers you may run across in Big Lots or other discount stores: DO NOT BUY MAYBELLINE MINERAL POWER CONCEALER; no coverage and it looks so cakey and gross. I heard the Covergirl+Olay correctors/concealers in the little jars were discontinued and I like those (sit nicely on skin and the yellow corrector was nice on redness) so I'd recommend it if you come across it!

Thanks for reading as always!! Hope this helps you find a new favorite or steer clear of some of these. 
- Em

2 comments: