Saturday, July 26, 2014

Ways to Enhance Your Eyes

Hey guys!! Today I will be sharing do's and don'ts on enhancing the eyes during makeup instead of making them look worse (lack of a better term there).
1. Contouring the lids
Do: This is much easier than it sounds. In very simple terms, you would place a darker shadow in your crease and a lighter color on your lids. This will make the eyes look more set back, yet the lid color will bring them front and center; a recessed set eye + them being forward = a bigger looking eye. (This sounds confusing but I'm sure most of you already do a lighter lid shade than your crease, etc). Recommendations: a fool-proof matte quad is Physician's Formula Matte Quad in "Classic Nudes".
Don't: It's hard to really mess this process up, it's fool-proof. :)
2. Lining the eyes
Do: Line the eyes but not in an overly thick manner, I do dramatic winged liner everyday and it can get thick (just being real here) but sometimes the thickness on the lid from your liner can make the eye look so much smaller. The thicker the line of your liner, the smaller the lid will look and thus the eye. Recommendations: I love my Essence Gel Eyeliner in "Midnight in Paris".
Don't: As I already said, thicker line creates less "real estate" so to speak on your lids making them seem smaller; so stray from pencil and kohl liners on the upper lashline because they tend to be harder to get a thin precise line with.
3. The waterline
Do: Nude liner in the waterline: In recent years this has definitely been a makeup trend, and a nice one in my opinion. A nude line will make the transition between the eye and the undereye seamless. Recommendations: Rimmel Scandaleyes Eyeliner in "Nude".
Don't: I never liked black liner in the waterline. It makes the eyes smaller by aggressively showing where the eye ends.
4. Highlighting
Do: Using a shimmery shadow or pencil around the inner corner emphasizes the opening of the eye making them look brighter and more awake. Highlighting the lid brings the eye forward as well. Recommendations: NYC Sparkle Eye Dust in "Opal Sparkle".
Don't: I love a dark lid color but I think an inner corner highlight is essential, try not to skimp on this step if you have a dark lid going on.
5. Lashes
Do: Curl lashes + apply mascara (+ falsies.. optional). It's pretty obvious how mascara makes the eyes look larger and open in the way that they make the lashes fan out, etc.
Don't: I cannot think of a "don't" for this. :)
6. Lower lashline
Do: Smudged out, smokey, liner on the lower lashline is fabulous. Smudging a brown liner (this is what I tend to use, I find black accentuates my dark circles and adds unneeded drab for me) on the lower lashline really helps make the eyes look bigger. It gives definition but when it is smudged/smokey, it extends the eye because it is brought down lower. Recommendations: I like using shadow for this step (very soft look, blends easily)!! I've just been trying to use up some brown liners I have, but just use your crease shadow for simplicity. :)
Don't: I would never recommend leaving liner on the lower lashline that isn't smudged out.. it usually just looks like a line and just marks where the eye is. It doesn't help the look.
Before and After!!
      
I used a little bit of colored mascara.. oohh aweee.
What would you like to see next? 
- Em



No comments:

Post a Comment