Thursday, July 24, 2014

Review: Bite Beauty Lush Fruit Lipglosses

I have noticed many popular YouTube makeup gurus (I hate how guru is the term that has been coined for them.. a little over the top? I don't know..) are FINALLY discovering Bite Beauty. I personally discovered Bite over a year ago.. before it was cool. ;) This is a high-end brand, available at Sephora, that exclusively makes products only for the lips; with good ingredients too like resveratrol. If you don't recognize the name Bite, you may recognize their product that has had recent craze: the Agave Lip Mask. I have not tried that yet, but I can tell you that their lipsticks are amazing! But today, I will be sharing my thoughts on their glosses... the Lush Fruit Lipglosses which I have been using for quite a while and am very familiar with. These retail for $22 for 0.13 oz. For a frame of reference, 0.27 oz. is in a NYX Butter Gloss (about double) and 0.17 oz. (obviously closer to Bite's size..) in a Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Gloss. I got a set of 3 on Black Friday for $10 and another in a separate kit offered at Sephora so keep in mind these are all deluxe-sized samples. As a fun fact I finished off one of these lipglosses in the shade "Sante"; my first lip empty.
*
- Packaging:
The glosses are housed in a clear tube showing the actual product. The cap is rubberized and has the word Bite on it (with a bite taken out of the "B" so that's cute haha). On the bottom is a sticker with the shade name. From left to right I own: "Honey" (nude with golden shimmer), "Strawberry" (medium pink; no shimmer), "Garnet" (fresh watermelon color; no shimmer), and "Strangefruit" (radiant orchid type shade; no shimmer).
*
- Scent: These have a unique but good scent.. I can't really describe it but it kind of reminds me of the fluoride they give you at the dentist's office during your cleanings? Maybe it's just me? I do enjoy it though, nothing objectionable.
*
- Pigmentation:
Swatches straight from applicator:
(LtoR: "Honey", "Strawberry", "Garnet", "Strangefruit")
 Swatches spread/blended more with the applicator.. basically as you'd apply on your lips:
"Honey" shows a lot of my natural lip color, as expected being a nude gloss, but I do enjoy using this to top off my nude lipsticks to make them less flat.
"Strawberry", "Garnet", and "Strangefruit" are medium-coverage. I wouldn't say any of these completely erase my natural lip color, but they have a very solid medium pigmentation.
*
Application: Because of their thicker consistency, it is so hard to get a really even and perfect application. The pink and melon shades applied the best. But oh how I wish I could get that oh so beautiful radiant orchid shade to apply evenly *sighs*.
*
- Feel: These don't feel heavy but they definitely have a thickness and tackiness to them which
definitely helps with staying power and makes them hang around.They feel like they create a barrier and provide a little moisture as well.
*
- Wear: The actual feel of these glosses hangs on your lips more than the color/pigment of the gloss does. They last for a couple of hours.
*
- Does it transfer while eating/drinking?: Obviously the vast majority of lip products with shine/moisture in them will wear off because of their nature (they tend to be a little sticky, they aren't locked in like a matte lipstick.. you know what I'm talking about) so yes these do transfer, but not terribly by any means. I wear these through eating and think the look is still good afterwards. You can get away without reapplying after eating or drinking.
*
- How I like to use them: I like using the lighter two shades as lipstick topper shades. "Garnet" I like to use on its own because its obvious reddish tones blend well with my lip color and can be my sole lip product. This shade gives a very fresh look as well. "Strangefruit" embodies the radiant orchid trend and because I don't have many coordinating lipsticks, I use it on its own. It would definitely be best as a topper though.
*
- Recommend.. yes or no: I love Bite's lipsticks but for a $22 gloss if you are getting an uneven application it is just a waste of money. If you like a color, go and swatch it at a Sephora to see how it applies. But I will be sticking with my cheaper gloss formulas from now on.
*
- Cheaper gloss formulas I love: Maybelline Color Sensational glosses (vibrant colors, gel-like, full color, comfortable) and NYX MegaShine glosses (fabulous shade range, not super sticky, comfortable, nice scent).
*
What post would you like to see next? Anything you'd like to see reviewed or hauled? Comment!!
Thanks for reading!!!
- Em
*A little update: I signed up for Birchbox!! So instead of a boring Ipsy solely being unbagged, I can compare it to another subscription of the same price!!* 

No comments:

Post a Comment