Wednesday, April 23, 2014

NYX's Soft Matte lip cream vs. Essence's Stay Matt lip cream

Hi guys!!
I find that a matte finish on the lips is getting more popular!
Tonight I'm reviewing two comparable drugstore matte lippies; one from NYX and one from Essence, and then telling you guys which I think performs better and fits the matte trend better! To make the comparison fair I chose a medium pink shade from each line so that it's not like I am comparing a deep berry to a pale nude (darks tend to stain, etc.) so it's sort of the control variable here. I also used the Eos in "Sweet Mint" as my balm beneath these products as a primer type product.
Here's a picture of both products:
The Essence lip cream is in "Velvet Rose" while the NYX lip cream is in "Instanbul".
I wore these on two separate days and took notes on application, wear, look, and feel.. let's start with the Essence one ($2.99).
Application: creamy, but not full opaque color, not streaky, easy to apply and keep in lip lines
Look: emphasizes fine lines, color is neutral and pretty, it was a little glossy and never dried to a nice matte finish
Feel: not super moisturizing but its thickness gives a little moisture
Wear: by 2.5 hours it wore off on the edges of my lips but stained the remaining area of my lips with a pinky nude color.
Now for NYX ($5.99)
Application: smooth, not streaky, semi-opaque to opaque color
Look: Dried matte but not too quick to the point where I wouldn't be able to build the color before it drying, pretty & fresh color!!, emphasized lines slightly
Feel: not moisturizing or drying!
Wear: lasted 4 hours! Wore off after I ate my Easter dinner.
Which do I prefer?/Final Thoughts:
I really am impressed by the NYX lip cream. It is one of my first matte lip experiences and the color itself makes my lips look so fresh. It also lasted substantially longer than the Essence one. The NYX one also did not make my lips look old and emphasize my lip lines as much as the Essence one did and I don't have chapped lips at all (thanks to my religious lip care routine). The Essence one was more of a pigmented gloss to me where as the NYX cream really performed its duty and was a comfortable matte.
I keep referencing the colors of these so here are swatches!!!
 
 
LtoR: Essence, NYX
 
Update: I'm on a makeup no-buy until the middle of May! Planning on doing an empties post then, and a little drugstore haul (I've been eyeing a few WetnWild things!)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment