Saturday, September 13, 2014

This vs. That: Maybelline Mineral Power Illuminator & Bare Minerals's "Clear Radiance"

Hi guys! Today's post is a This vs. That post. I originally started this series on my Instagram, here... I got a lot of positive feedback on it so I decided to continue on! It is hard to find comparable products in my collection which was surprising because I have a lot of makeup. But these two products randomly came to mind and I realized they'd fit in so well with this series. :) They are two loose highlights; one is Maybelline's Mineral Power Illuminator in "Nude" ($5-$7) and Bare Minerals's "Clear Radiance" ($19).
 

 

So here's the breakdown..
- Quality of pigmentation: The Bare Minerals highlight definitely has better color pay-off; the Maybelline illuminator is less pigmented.
- Application: The Bare Minerals applied so well. This is because it has a nicer powder base for the shimmer to cling to; you can tell because it so so smooth and hangs together nicely when being applied/swatched. The Maybelline one however has glitter and a very fine powder base so it can apply a little patchy because it doesn't have the same binding quality the Bare Minerals one has.
You can see this in the swatches:
- Ability to blend: They both sheer out nicely.
- The quality of the shimmer: As I said before the Maybelline seems to have more of a chunky glitter where as the Bare Minerals has a finer shimmer.
- How long it wears: I looked at my face at the end of the day right before taking off my makeup and I have to say that 
So which wins?
I would have to pick the Bare Minerals powder. It has a nice finer shimmer and looks more natural.  Keep in mind that the BM powder is clearly a lot more pink in tone than the Maybelline. But I do have yellow undertones and applied lightly it doesn't look out of place.
Do you have any suggestions or requests for me to do a This vs. That post on?
- Em :)

No comments:

Post a Comment