Saturday, May 10, 2014

Over and Under-Rated Drugstore Makeup (and a few things that were disappointing)

Hi beauties!! I just did a post on this same topic but with high-end makeup so I wanted to do drugstore makeup too! Here's my under-rated drugstore picks!
 
Rimmel Stay Matte primer
This is the only primer that can keep me matte throughout the day. I used to use Rimmel's Fix&Perfect Pro primer until this came out and because I have oily skin I thought I'd give it a try! It has become one of my daily makeup products! I cannot even imagine my face makeup without this! The foundation from this line is perfection as well but this primer is so much less talked about!
 
 Alright who guessed it.. NYX's Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation
I have oily skin and mattifying powders can look really cakey quick but this powder is the perfect finish. It has a buttery and super soft texture; Ulta has testers of these and that's where I initially felt these! This works great on oily skin but I can also see this working for all skin types just because it doesn't have a dry finish. This is a powder foundation and it has wonderful coverage.. This is probably the only powder I could just put concealer under and feel comfortable leaving the house with on! I set my foundation everyday with this and my NYX puff and it locks everything in.. I can't get enough of these (I bought 3 backups at IMATS)!

WetNWild's MegaGlo illuminating powder in shade: "Spotlight Peach"
This is probably my favorite blush. It gives the prettiest warm and peachy (almost a bronze effect, too) flush to the cheeks! It really warms up and gives my pale face some color! It's also super affordable! I can get so frustrated with blushes that no matter how much I put on just won't show up but this takes just a little swirl on my cheeks!

 Physician's Formula quad in the shade: "Classic Nudes"
I bought this quad initially because I did not have a ton of matte blending shades and browns and wasn't expecting to be blown away but these are amazing! They are SO buttery and soft (to the point where you don't want to swirl your brush around to kick up product by the way). They give such a smooth and perfect effect on the eyes. I use this to do an entire look or I often pull it out to use in different looks. It is so versatile!
 
 Essence Stays No Matter What shadow pencils in the shades: "Whipped White Frosting" and "Cute Copper"
These are probably my favorite affordable shadow bases. They are pigmented and the champagne one can go under any look! They have a tackiness to them that really helps shadows cling to them, love these!
 
 Maybelline Color Whisper (I have the shade "Mocha Muse")
These are like Maybelline's version of the Revlon lip butters. I feel like these are so overlooked. They moisturize and have give such a healthier look to the lips than the Revlon butters do. The Color Whispers have a beautiful color range. This shade is a nude and is one of the lightest shades in the line but still has buildable coverage on the lips without it swiping itself away. I had a comparable color to this one from the Revlon butters, it was "Creme Brulee", and I just was not impressed with it. I am so happy I have my Color Whisper especially in this shade because it is such an easy nude to throw on and it just looks so pretty!
 
 NYX Soft Matte lip cream in the shade: "Instanbul"
I really love this formula! It gives a comfortable matte lip and this color is so fresh! I have a comparison of this and Essence's Stay Matt lip cream a few posts back!! Check that post out for more details on this product!
 
Palladio Herbal Tinted lip balms (I have it in the shade Berry")
WHY ARE THESE NEVER SPOKEN OF?? They have plenty of colors and they ARE pigmented and so comfortable!!! They're pretty cheap too, mine was around $3-$4 (same price as a Baby Lips but WAY better... sorry Maybelline).
 
 Swatches LtoR: Color Whisper, Soft Matte lip cream, Palladio balm, WetNWild blush, shadow sticks, and the Physician's Formula quad!


 Over-rated and disappointing makeup time.. :(
 
 
A lot of people will hate me for this but NYX Butter Glosses
Sure there are some nice neutrals, colors, and they're not sticky BUT WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL. They're your average gloss.. one thing I don't like about this product is how when you take the wand out the product gets like stringy (if anyone knows what I'm talking about??).
 
Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette
This was raved about on YouTube and I was so excited to buy this at Target. But, they crease and look gross under my eyes and I was so hopeful because they are so creamy.. :(

Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue line
On the left is "Coral Crave".. and it still leaves me craving coral because IT IS CLEAR. The one on the right is "Just Peachy" which gives off beautiful color but makes my lips look so gross and dry!! I prefer the regular line of Baby Lips a lot more! "Cherry Me" is my all-time fave from the Baby Lips collection!!
 
Here is where the disappointing makeup begins..
 
Essence Match 2 Cover Cream Concealer 
One positive I have about this is that it has Bobbi Brown-esque packaging.. but the name is wrong.. This is not a "cream concealer" it is a "hard as a rock and not creamy at all concealer". Don't waste money on this! Just get the Covergirl + Olay concealer balm or the NYX HD concealer!!!!
 
Almay Liquid Lipbalm in the shade "Nudetrients"

I guess I shouldn't have expected a pigmented nude gloss.. this is just clear with sparkle. Also, this is marketed as a balm but my lips aren't being moisturized or nourished with this.
 
The Maybelline Expert Wear quad in "Sunlit Bronze" and the Covergirl ExactEyelights quad made for brown eyes.

My best advice if you see these is to RUN. If you were to get Maybelline shadows go for the EyeStudio quads because I've seen swatches of those and they're way better than these UN-PIGMENTED (if that's a word but you know what I mean!!) shadows.. these are literally just sparkle. there is nothing binding the shadow together. I had a very similar experience with the Covergirl quad except for the fact that the darker shades were a little better pigmentation wise.
 
I didn't bother swatching the products I didn't like because I didn't really think it would benefit any of you guys but if you want swatches just comment! I can post them here or on Instagram (@makeupbyemilyy). :)
 
Sorry to end on a bad note makeup wise but I hope this guides you as to what to avoid and maybe what to check out! :)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment